Peer-based social and leadership opportunities for young adults with an acquired brain injury
We offer two programs for young adults with an acquired brain injury: Heading Out social events; and ABILiTy, our program for leadership training, skill building and peer mentoring. For information about any of our YOUNG ADULT events, call us on 0409 216 189 or visit our Facebook page.
Our Heading Out events offer great opportunities to socialise and build connections with other young people with experience of an acquired brain injury. We provide a safe, accepting and supportive mainstream environment, both face-to-face and online.
What Heading Out offers
- Regular social events to develop ongoing connections and friendships with other young people who understand acquired brain injury.
- When COVID restrictions allow, monthly face-to-face events are held at an accessible venue in Melbourne’s CBD. Online events include virtual Happy Hours, hangouts and catch-ups.
- Attendees are aged 18 and over, and all have sustained a brain injury before the age of 25.
- There’s no fee to join Heading Out events, but at face-to-face events, everyone covers their own cost of lunch, drinks and transport, and arranges their own support person if required.
- Heading Out events are supported by enthusiastic and welcoming volunteers and peer hosts who have lived experience of brain injury.
ABI Leadership Team: ABILiTy
Head Together’s ABILiTy program provides leadership training, peer mentoring, and leadership opportunities for young adults with an acquired brain injury. We give participants a platform to develop their own goals and work on what they value, to have real-life conversations about anything and everything, in an accepting environment, with others who ‘get it’.
What ABILiTy offers
- An individual goal-setting plan, facilitated by a peer mentor and a support person, to identify opportunities for growth and development.
- Group sessions such as leadership seminars, team meetings and catch-ups (online during COVID).
- A maximum of 12 in the program, to foster strong connections and allow excellent support for each participant.
Check out these videos from our ABILiTy team members. To find out more about the program, email us through our Contact page.